Info for Patients
What to Expect
- Upon arrival you will complete standard paperwork related to your procedure.
- You will be asked to drink a large bottle of water.
- The technologist will take you to a patient prep room and explain the PET scan in detail. Please notify the technologist if you are pregnant.
- The technologist will start an I.V. most commonly in your arm.
- You will receive an injection of a small amount of a radiopharmaceutical
- You will relax on a bed. This time differes for each procedure, but can be as long as 90 minutes. During this time you may receive a small amount of a diuretic through your I.V. to improve image quality.
- You may be asked to drink some water that contains a small amount of x-ray dye. Please notify the technologist if you are allergic to iodine or CT dye.
- When the appropriate time has passed, the PET scan will begin.
- When it is time for your scan, the technologist will provide you an opportunity to use the restroom. Your scan may last as long as 30 minutes.
- You will be placed on the scanner and positioned.
- It is important that you lie as still as possible during your scan.
- The table you are lying on will go in and out of the scanner several times during your exam.
- Many patients relax enough to fall asleep during the scan.
We will need to be contacted by your doctor before we can schedule your exam. As soon as we hear from your doctor, PET Center staff will contact you to discuss scheduling options and to provide specific instructions for the day of your exam.
General Preparation for Your Scan (Specific instructions will be provided by PET Center staff)
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight except water
- Be on time for your appointment
- If you are unable to make your appointment, please contact our office 24 hours in advance of your appointment
- No cigarettes or chewing tobacco or the like the day of your scan
- No cough drops, breath mints, chewing gum or the like, not even “sugar free”
- You may take medications unless they are labeled to be taken only with food or are in syrup form
- Wear warm, comfortable clothing; no zippers or other metal on clothing; no underwire bra
- Unless you are diabetic, please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time
- If you are diabetic, please contact our office for further instructions at (318) 675-4000
- Please don’t bring children to the procedure due to length of procedure (three hours)
Please note: Our center opens at 7:00 a.m.
Failure to follow these instructions may make it necessary to
reschedule your scan
Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana
Positron Emission Tomography (P.E.T.) Imaging Center
1505 KINGS HIGHWAY
Shreveport, LA 71103
Tel: (318) 675-4000
Toll Free: (888) 685-1152
The PET Imaging Center is located on the ground floor of the Virginia K. Shehee Biomedical Research Institute, which is located on the campus of LSU Health Sciences Center – Shreveport. Take I-20 or I-49 to the Kings Highway exit and drive west toward the LSU Health Shreveport campus. Turn left after the Feist Weiller Cancer Center and proceed to the end of the drive. Turn right into private lot in front of Biomedical Research Institute. Pull up to the gate and press button marked ” PET CENTER ” on the panel outside your driver’s window. We will open the gate for you after speaking with you via intercom. Please park in a “Patient” designated parking spot. Enter the PET Imaging Center from the south side plaza along the walk on the left side of the building. We are on the right side as you enter the atrium. Click on “printable driving directions” above for more details and pictures to help you locate our center.
Parking & Building Entry Instructions
- From Medical School Drive, drive under the pedestrian bridge and continue forward until you are forced to turn left or right. Turn right and continue with a right u-turn into the parking lot in front of our building, the Virginia K Shehee Biomedical Research Institute. It is a 10-story building.
- When you turn right into the parking lot there will be a gate; please press the middle button labeled “PET Center”. A receptionist will open the gate for you.
- Park and walk down the sidewalk on the left (South side) of the building (do not enter the double doors on the front of the building). Instead, walk up the South side of the building and at the end of the sidewalk there will be glass doors on your right. Enter those doors and look immediately to your right. On the wall in large letters it says Positron Emission Tomography Imaging Center. Enter our reception area through the wood door to the left of that signage.
If you have health insurance we will file the claim for your PET scan. However, some carriers, including Medicare, do not cover PET studies for all indications (a non-covered diagnosis; See also “Medicare” for complete coverage information), or the carrier may not pay 100% of the claim. We will make every effort to maximize coverage, but you are ultimately responsible for payment.
If you do not have insurance coverage, it will be necessary for you to work out payment arrangements with our office before your appointment.
Whether you have insurance or not, we will happily discuss our financial hardship assistance program with you if you feel you are unable to pay the balance on your account.